Home / Attractions of St. Petersburg / Catherine Palace

Catherine palace & Amber Room - St. Petersburg - Guide-Guru

CATHERINE'S PALACE DAY TOURS:

Visa-free for cruise passengers

For independent visitors

Category

1/2 day Catherine Palace & Amber Room tour

1/2 day Catherine Palace & Amber Room tour

Private

1-day Catherine Palace & The Hermitage Museum

1-day Catherine Palace & The Hermitage Museum

Private

1-day Catherine Palace & Peterhof

1-day Catherine Palace & Peterhof

Private

 As part of 2-day Comfy tour - Saver

 As part of 2-day Comfy tour

Small group

 As part of 2-day Superior tour - Saver

 As part of 2-day Superior tour

Small group

 As part of 3-day Comfy tour

As part of 3-day Comfy tour

Small group

 As part of 3-day Superior tour

As part of 3-day Superior tour

Small group

Catherine Palace is a grand baroque summer palace of the Romanovs royal family. It boasts of the legendary Amber Room.

Catherine Palace's reconstruction took 4 years. In 1756 the architect Bartolomeo Francesco Rastrelli presented the brand-new 325-meter-long palace to Empress Elizabeth. A French diplomat noted at the time, the palace was still missing one detail: 'a glass case for extra protection'. More than 100 kilograms (220 pounds) of gold were used to gild the sophisticated stucco facade and numerous statues erected on Catherine Palace roof. It was even rumored that the palace's roof was constructed entirely of gold. On a bright sunny day the palace appeared to sparkle. An English traveler once called it 'the most complete triumph of barbarous taste'.

Until WWII Catherine Palace boasted its legendary Amber Room. The original amber panels were made in 1713 for Frederick William I's “tobacco club“ in The Berlin Palace and 3 years later was presented to Russian czar Peter the Great. The amber panels were not installed until Peter's daughter Elizabeth commissioned Rastrelli to design The Amber Room for her Catherine Palace.

After Elizabeth's death many changes were made in the interior design. Empress Catherine the Great regarded the "whipped cream" palace architecture old-fashioned and accused her predecessor of reckless extravagance. Gilded parts were painted yellow, some old interiors were remodeled in Classicism, the palace area enlarged with the added Bath House and Cameron Gallery.

Upon Catherine's death in 1796, the palace was abandoned in favor of Pavlovsk Palace, residence of Emperor Paul. Catherine Palace was later used only for official receptions.

Following the Bolshevik Revolution, Catherine Palace and Park were taken over by the state and nationalized. The Palace became an art history museum while the Park became an area of rest and recreation for the public.

In 1937, the town of Czarskoye Selo, was renamed Pushkin to honor the famous Russian poet, Alexander Pushkin who had graduated from the Imperial Lyceum right next to Catherine Palace.

In 1941 the palace was taken over by Nazi forces, ransacked and used as army barracks. When Nazis finally retreated in January 1944, the palace was blown up and burnt. The Amber room was taken to Germany and all trace of it disappeared. After many years of futile seeking, the Soviet government ordered its reconstruction. In 2003 it was publicly opened by President Putin and German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder.

As of today 29 of the 52 palace rooms have been restored.

Catherine Place is open: 10:00am-5:00pm (in summer prior tour reservation is required)

Closed: Tuesdays, last Monday of the month.

Also read our Blog article '10 Fun Things to Do in St Petersburg Russia'

SEND YOUR ENQUIRY



GUIDE-GURU BLOG
Great Tips and Ideas
for Your Trip !!!

Music